Mayor Steve Ly Misleads Public With Statement Taken Out of Context; Grand Jury Investigation Still Pending
Mayor Steve Ly appears to be afraid he will not be re-elected by Elk Grove voters. By using a statement made by Elk Grove Police Chief Albright at a July City Council Meeting regarding one police report, Mayor Ly has stated on Facebook, in campaign mailers, and on television news media that he has been cleared of all charges. The reality is anything but such. Indeed, Mayor Ly has used Chief Albright’s statements out of context. In fact, the grand jury investigation is still pending. The women who have come forward all confirm that harassment has still continued and are looking forward to the grand jury investigation.
Back in August, Mayor Ly issued a statement at the August City Council Meeting.
Mayor Ly also reached out to the women via email.
His email was brief. He sent a copy of this email to Trustee Bobbie Singh-Allen, Trustee Nancy Chaires Espinoza, Cosumnes CSD Directly Jaclyn Moreno, Linda Vwj, and Elk Grove Tribune Editor-In-Chief Dr. Jacqueline “Jax” Cheung.
“I have issued my statement and would like an opportunity to sit down and find a way for us to move forward and heal. Please contact me at the below number and let’s work together.
Mayor Steve Ly”
Inconsistencies In Mayor Ly’s Statements
We note several inconsistencies with Mayor Ly’s actions and statements.
- The statement by Chief Albright responded to a specific police report but did not clear Mayor Steve Ly of all allegations by the women who came forward. Mayor Ly still faces a grand jury investigation and could very well be indicted.
- Donna Cox has retired from the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department. She has no investigative authority in the City of Elk Grove.
- During a six hour long Elk Grove City Council Meeting, Councilmembers Steve Detrick, Pat Hume, Stephanie Nguyen, and Darren Suen voted to send the investigation of Mayor Steve Ly to the grand jury. This grand jury investigation is still pending.
- The disastrous mayoral debate is still being investigated. Furthermore, Elk Grove Tribune Editor-In-Chief Jacqueline Cheung spoke to Detective Jorge Benitez, most recently at the beginning of October 2020, regarding instances of her own harassment as well as the Elk Grove mayoral debate.
- It is noted that pictures of John Thao outside the Elk Grove mayoral debate circulated on social media. Since John Thao is Mayor Steve Ly’s right hand man, who previously worked for the City of Elk Grove, it is difficult for Mayor Ly to distance himself from this.