Throughout this whole quarantine, I have spent several hours coming up with and testing out new recipes. Not only does it allow me to be creative, but it also lets me do my favorite activity: eating. I decided that I would challenge myself and figure out how to use my air fryer. Besides homemade tortilla chips and mozzarella sticks, I struggled to see the purpose of the appliance. That is until I discovered these three recipes.
Described as a small convection oven designed to simulate deep frying without oil, I knew that this contraption could do some amazing things. I just had to figure out what that was. So of course I turned to my new go-to cookbook, TikTok. While scrolling, I found three recipes that looked manageable. With a few personal tweaks, I managed to come up with my new favorite snacks!
Apple Pie Apples
My first item is a hit among my family. It’s the perfect snack to have when the sugar craving kicks in!
1 Apple (I like to use granny smith, but it is completely up to you)
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Cut your apple into even slices
- Place slices in a bowl and sprinkle the cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice onto the slices (Use enough to coat each slice evenly on both sides)
- Place on a sheet of parchment paper and set into the air fryer
- Cook at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
- Take out and serve plain, with oats, with whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream
I originally found this recipe for sweet potatoes. However, I was hungry and did not have any sweet potatoes. I noticed that we had carrots, so I used them instead. Well, not thinking about the thickness of sweet potato, I completely burnt my carrots. It took my two more tries to get the perfect temperature and time, but now I’ve got it!
As many carrots as you plan on eating
1 package of Ranch seasoning
- Place the carrots into a plastic bag (the more carrots you have, the bigger the bag you must use)
- Pour enough seasoning to coat the carrots and mix until every carrot is covered
- Add the corn starch and coconut oil one spoonful at a time until the carrots are coated evenly with the mixture
- Place on parchment paper and cook in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
- Serve with a side of ranch and enjoy!
My final recipe is a great source of protein and works great on the go. They are filling and always hit the spot when I’m craving something salty!
1 can of chickpeas (Garbonzo beans)
Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- Drain, rinse and dry your chickpeas
- Place the beans into a bowl and add the olive oil (enough to coat all the beans)
- Stir beans until all are coated
- Add the rest of the spices (You can add as much as you would like as long as every bean is coated)
- Place on parchment paper and put into the air fryer
- Cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes
- Once the beans are done, add salt on top and nutritional yeast (if you desire)
- Let cool and enjoy!